Friday, October 24, 2008

it's only been a week...

It's only been a week and I've already forgotten that I started this new blog! So, I do realize that I have a bit of explaining to do...

Last week was MSU's fall break. Oh how it was needed! I started off on Thursday morning with a haircut and a blended strawberry lemonade from Starbucks. You really can't get much better than that, can you? Then, I headed to the Library for one long afternoon/evening of work...

When 7pm finally rolled around I was out of there and back to campus where I met Chris....and where the real adventure began! Over the past years while I've been in college, Chris has had the opporunity to come to the good 'ole Valley Springs and see where I come from, but I've never been able to go to his town...THE Desoto, Missouri--not until Fall Break, that is.

We really had a good time. Even though there were three of us in the car (we took an RA who lives nearby to his home), the ride seemed SO long. 3 hours is a lot longer than the hour and 15 minutes I'm used to! But, we finally made it into Chris' front door at around midnight.

Chris assured me that everyone would already be in bed. He was wrong! His brother met us in the driveway and Poppa Polley was up and at the computer. So, it was a small party!

Friday was a relax and do nothing day. :) Everyone needs though every now and then. While Chris was productive and worked on schoolwork, I watched hours of TV with his sister. His mom joined in the night with chocolate chip cookies and we all watched "We Are Marshall" together. Then we made a late night run to Wal-Mart and Sonic...which are apparently some of the only things to do in town!

Saturday was a neat day. All growing up Chris was super involved in Boy Scouts and Eagle Scouts, and for the past 4 or 5 summers he has worked at a camp that he absolutely LOVES. Well, on Saturday there was a boy scouting event at camp, and his dad and brother were working it, and we met them there at about 10am. I got the grand tour of the famous Camp Sakima where I sent SO MANY postcards the summer I worked for World Changers. The camp, located right on a lake, was absolutely gorgeous. It's so awesome to marvel at God's Creation.

Chris was so afraid I'd be bored on Saturday. I assured him I'm pretty easy going...at least I like to think so. In fact, I wasn't bored at all. I had a great time seeing camp. Maybe I'm weird, but I love seeing where people come from....what makes them who they are....things they love and that are important to them. I just think it's neat. I think it's great how God has taken people from Missouri and California and Georgia and from all over the earth...people who have grown up in an environment completely different than mine...and He has brought them into my life. I just think that's cool. :)

We finished up Saturday by visiting Chris' Grandpa Bernie and playing cards with him. Let's just say that I'm not the quickest learner when it comes to card games! But, we had fun and so did Grandpa Bernie and that's all that matters!

Sunday was the final day of Desoto fun and Fall Break. I went to church with Chris' family, and then we went to Chris' other grandparents house for family dinner in order to celebrate Chris' mom's birthday. Good people and good food! You have to love that! Then, we met the RA and headed back south to Springfield....

Fall break was fun, but I was sad it ended because that meant for the beginning of a long week at school. Homework, quizzes, work...yikes. However, this marks my last week of working at my part-time job at the Brentwood Library here in town. Some of you may know that I was recently hired as an intern at the Convoy of Hope, which is a Christian based disaster relief organization. I'm SO excited! I can't wait to see how it goes when I start at the beginning of November.

Well, I just wanted to play a brief catch up. I love and miss everyone from home and can't wait until the Holiday Season brings us together again!

No comments: